Advanced Search

Main Menu

or browse by theme


Do I Need Planning Permission?

Planning Permission & Guidance

Planning guidance for householders is available online from the Planning Portal which provides:

Advice for Businesses

Businesses can also seek information about planning permission from the Advice for Businesses page .

Building Control

Obtaining planning permission approval is a separate matter from building regulations approval and you should consult the council’s Building Control or the Planning Portal to find out more.

Listed Buildings and Houses in Conservation Areas

These have restricted permitted rights, which means you are much more restricted about what you can do without applying for permission. In most cases you will have to apply for permission. Look in related pages for details of conservation areas and listed buildings in Crawley.

Dropped kerbs and highway crossovers, driveways and front garden hardstanding

Vehicle crossovers are permitted except onto a classified road. Follow the link for vehicle crossover guidance which includes a list of classified roads in Crawley where planning permission is required for a crossover.

You will always need consent, in the form of a licence, from West Sussex County Council for all types of cross-over or drive, even if planning permission is not needed. They are the local highway authority and they will consider highway safety, driveway design and explain any contractual issues. You can contact West Sussex County Council on 01243 777100 or find out more on the website:

If you are planning to pave your front garden please use the following links to find out about the changes in the General Permitted Development Order, planning permission and building regulations with regards to driveways and hardstandings.

Pre-application advice

If you are unsure about the planning process, whether your proposals are likely to be acceptable, or whether you need planning permission, you may consider obtaining pre-application advice.

Pre-application discussions are encouraged, both with residents for small scale extensions through to developers for major schemes or commercial developments.

A planning officer is available to discuss enquiries about minor planning matters, Monday to Friday from 10am until 12pm at the council offices at the Town Hall. Please phone 01293 43 8512 to make an appointment. We would encourage customers to bring along with them any information such as plans, drawings, documents or photographs that would help the officer provide all the relevant advice.

We would also encourage you to view our Planning Policy pages which include the council’s Core Strategy policies, Supplementary Planning Guidance and other relevant information.

For a formal determination as to whether planning permission is or was required it is necessary to make an application for a Certificate of Lawfulness for a Proposed Use or Development (CLP) or an application for a Certificate of Lawfulness for an Existing Use or Development (CLE) . For more information about these certificates you can refer to the Government’s publication entitled Lawful Development Certificates: A Users Guide or the Planning Portal .

The Environment Agency also provides pre-application advice relating to specific plots of land. For further information please fill in a pre application enquiry form . Follow the link for a guide for developers .

(01293) 438512 (01293) 438495 click to contact us
Crawley Borough Council,
Town Hall,
The Boulevard,
West Sussex, RH10 1UZ

Contact Us

tel: (01293) 438512

fax: (01293) 438495

email: click to contact us

Crawley Borough Council,
Town Hall,
The Boulevard,
West Sussex, RH10 1UZ

GovDelivery icon