Advanced Search

Main Menu

or browse by theme


Commenting on Applications

Who’s involved?

Applicants are encouraged to discuss development proposals with neighbours before submitting a formal application to the Council. This may address any potential design, layout and privacy concerns they have with the proposal and could avoid possible application delays. The Planning Officer will assess the relevance of any comments made in relation to planning matters and may suggest minor changes to the application to overcome any difficulties.

Once an application has been validated and registered, the planning department will publicise and consult on it.

We will either notify adjoining neighbours by letter or put up a notice on or near the site. In certain cases, applications are also advertised in the Crawley Observer and on the council’s Public Notices web page. This gives the public the opportunity to express views. We may also notify other bodies such as the county council, environmental health or environment agency etc.

Anyone can comment on a planning application, you do not need to have received a formal notification letter.

The best way to keep up to date on a planning application is through the Planning Application Search facility where you can search for a specific application or look at a list of applications registered or decided in the last 7 days.

How do I comment on an application?

Members of the public have 21 days from the start of the consultation period to make their comments after which the council can proceed to make a decision. Your comments must be in written form, verbal comments cannot be taken into account.

The Council does not acknowledge receipt of or directly respond to any comments made but will take them into account in the decision making process within the officers report.

Please note your comments will not appear on the public website immediately.

The best way to make your comments is online. Once you have searched for and viewed the application click on the ‘comment on this application’ link to leave a comment.

If you would prefer to submit your comments by post please address these to the case officer concerned at:

Town Hall, The Boulevard, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 1UZ

Please quote the application reference number and site address.

Under the terms of the Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985 your comments will normally become matters of public record, open for other members of the public to read and copy. See personal information below.

What can I comment on?

The council can only take into account comments which relate to planning matters such as:

What can’t I comment on?

Personal Information

Any representations received in response to planning applications must be made available for public inspection in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Access to Information Act 1985. This means that we cannot treat any comments made on a planning application as confidential.

Any comments you make will form part of the planning application and will be available for public inspection. Personal information such as telephone numbers, email addresses and signatures will not be published online please do not include these details within the main body of your comments.

If you do not provide or do not wish your name and address to appear on this website or within the case file then your comments will be treated as anonymous and your views will not be taken into account by the council.

We reserve the right to withhold from publication on this website any comments or parts of comments not considered suitable for public view for reasons including offensive or personal content.

(01293) 438512 (01293) 438495 click to contact us
Crawley Borough Council,
Town Hall,
The Boulevard,
West Sussex, RH10 1UZ

Contact Us

tel: (01293) 438512

fax: (01293) 438495

email: click to contact us

Crawley Borough Council,
Town Hall,
The Boulevard,
West Sussex, RH10 1UZ

GovDelivery icon