Crawley

Main Menu

or browse by theme

  

Worth Park History

Worth Park old images

Worth Park covers eight hectares and once formed part of the Forest of Worth, which stretched from Slaugham in the south to Worth in the north.

The Worth Park Estate was purchased by Abraham Montefiore c1816 and the house and garden were later remodelled by his son Joseph Montefiore, his wife Henrietta and their son, Sir Francis Montefiore. The park was turned into a high status late Victorian pleasure garden and landscape, constructed by James Pulham and Son who also designed features for the gardens of Buckingham Palace and Sandringham House.

In 1915 the estate was broken up and sold. The house and gardens were bought by a Gravesend boarding school in 1920 and became known as Milton Mount College.

In 1963 the house and gardens were purchased by Crawley Borough Council. The house was subsequently demolished and the flats which exist today were built. However the original landscape remains almost unchanged since the late 1800s. Thanks to the Heritage Lottery Fund, this impressive parkland has now been restored to its former Victorian Glory, including its magnificent Pulham fountain, one of the most significant in the country.

Worth Park restoration

Work has been carried out to restore Worth Park to its former Victorian glory, with the help of funding from Crawley Borough Council and £2.42m from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Improvement work strands included:

  • Worth Park Lake and dam
  • The formal gardens
  • Ridley’s Court
  • Enhanced leisure use of the park

The historic Italian Terrace was the first part of the extensive programme of restoration to be completed. Urns were recreated using moulds from Victorian originals that once stood in the park and missing Pulhamite terracotta in the Dutch Garden has been replaced. Restoration of the Pulhamite rockery was also undertaken.

The camellia walkway has undergone a complete restoration with a new entrance and the missing wooden pergola and roof structure replaced.

The Pulhamite islands have been restored to their original Alpine character and work to the listed rockery also complete. Grassland by the pond is being actively managed as a wildflower meadow to improve biodiversity.

01293 885871 edwina.livesey@crawley.gov.uk  Click to email us
Worth Park Visitor Centre
Ridleys Court
Pound Hill
Crawley
RH10 3DH

Contact Us

tel: 01293 885871

email:  Click to email us

address:
Worth Park Visitor Centre
Ridleys Court
Pound Hill
Crawley
RH10 3DH

GovDelivery icon