Main Menu

or browse by theme


Housing Benefit

Benefit Cap

Since 7 November 2016, benefits have been capped to:

Certain benefits are exempt from being capped, for more information visit

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) – LHA rates have been frozen until 2019/2020.

Young people aged 18 to 21 – From April 2017, young people aged 18 to 21 will no longer automatically be entitled to housing benefit (or the housing support component of universal credit) if they are unemployed. Instead, a youth obligation is to be introduced that is reliant on claimants applying for training/apprenticeships, or attending work placements.

Single people, under 35’s - If you are single, under 35 and bidding for Council accommodation, from the 1st April 2019 you will only be entitled to the “shared accommodation” rate of £79.55 a week and will need to pay the difference between housing benefit and your rent. For example, if you rent a one bed property at £151.50 per week, after 1st April 2019 you will only receive a maximum of £79.55 so will have to pay the remaining £71.95 per week.

Please note: There were changes to Housing Benefit in April 2013.

Who can claim Housing Benefit

You may get Housing Benefit if you pay rent and your income and capital (savings and investments) are low enough given your household’s circumstances.

You could qualify whether you are in or out of work, whether you rent from the council, a housing association or a private landlord.

You could:

Who is not eligible for Housing Benefit

You can’t usually get Housing Benefit if:

For more information about Housing Benefit, read the leaflet: What is Housing Benefit?

How much you can get

The amount of benefit you are entitled to is in part worked out by comparing your family’s actual resources with what the government states your family needs to live on.

We will look at:

The rest of the calculation of entitlement is based on your eligible rent. For council and housing association tenants your eligible rent is the actual amount of rent charged, minus any ineligible charges included in your rent (such as for your water or other utilities usage, or food).

If you rent from a private landlord, your eligible rent is restricted to the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate applicable to your circumstances. Your rate of Local Housing Allowance is based on the number of bedrooms you need and not how much rent you pay.

You can find out how to claim LHA and the latest rates on the Local Housing Allowance page.

To get a personal estimate of the amount of benefit you could get, click on the Benefits Calculator .

How to claim Housing Benefit

Choose a way to contact us:

Home visits can be arranged for those unable to get to the office due to disability or infirmity. We also have staff that can help if English is not your first language.

Help prevent fraud

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) now investigate Housing Benefit Fraud. You can report housing benefit fraud directly to DWP .

(01293) 438611 (01293) 511803 Click to email us
Revenue Services
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

Contact Us

tel: (01293) 438611

fax: (01293) 511803

email: Click to email us

Revenue Services
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

GovDelivery icon