Advanced Search

Main Menu

or browse by theme


Most Popular

Benefits Calculator

Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit Calculator - fill out this form for an instant on-line estimate.

This calculation is an estimate based on the information you supply. The form should take no more than 5 minutes to complete.

Part 1 - Rent and Local Housing Allowance
Go to Part 2 if you just want help with your Council Tax bill


Part 2 - Council Tax
Go to Part 3 if you don't need help with your Council Tax bill

Part 3: General Information

Part 4: Capacities and Disabilities
Go to Part 5 if you do not have health/work capacity issues, are not disabled or a carer.
Be sure to enter any Employment and Support Allowance payments in Part 8 as 'other unearned income'.

and .

and , if applicable.

You get Attendance Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Invalid Vehicle Scheme or Motability, War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement, Severe Disablement Allowance, Incapacity Benefit (paid at the long term rate) or you are registered blind (or regained your sight in the last 28 weeks)
Or you (the claimant only) have been off work sick for at least 52 weeks (28 if terminally ill) with medical evidence/sick notes

  1. You (and partner) get care component of Disability Living Allowance (middle/high rate) or the PIP daily living component or Attendance / Constant Attendance Allowance (or partner blind and you get one), and
  2. No other adult lives in your home except your partner, other than disabled persons, your carer, landlord or other tenants,

Part 5: Children and Young Persons

Step 6: Single Lone Parent
If you are not a single lone parent go to the next section

Step 7: Earnings
Go to Part 12 if you are on Income Support, IS/JSA or PGC.

Give figures for the claimant (and partner). Include average earnings from employment and self employment. Be sure to enter weekly figures in the Weekly column only and Monthly figures in the Monthly column only.

£ Weekly

£ Monthly

Part 8: Unearned Income
Please provide your weekly unearned income figures for you (and your partner).




We do not count War Pensions, charitable payments or payments made as a result of personal injury as income. So do not enter them below.

Part 9: Savings
You cannot qualify for any Housing Benefit if you and any partner have £16,000 or more in savings and investments. For most working age applicants, you cannot qualify for any Council Tax Support if you and any partner have £9,000 or more - but that limit is £16,000 if you are of pension age. The home you live in and personal possessions do not count.


Part 10: Childcare
This section requests your eligible childcare charges (up to £175 p/w for 1 child or £300 for more) and student expenses. Charges for registered or approved childcare can be deducted from the income of couples or lone parents in remunerative work or on Statutory Sick, Maternity, Paternity or Adoption Pay or a similar benefit (up to 28 weeks). Each parent must be working at least 16 hours a week - but couples still qualify if one works and the partner is incapacitated, in hospital or prison. N.B. costs of childcare in the child's own home by a close relative are excluded.


Part 11: Tax and Pensions Credits


Part 12: Non Rent Paying Adults
This section looks for other adults who live with you but pay no rent (often grown-up children) - but don't count your partner or students. These so called "non-dependents" are assumed to be contributing to the household income so a deduction is made from any benefit for each one. So do enter the number of non-dependents in each of these Income Categories but skip this step if you (or your partner) is disabled due to blindness, or in receipt of the Disability Living Allowance care / PIP living component or Attendance Allowance has been awarded.

Enter the number of non-dependents who:

RESULTS - Click the button below

(automatically calculated)
Tax / Pension Credits per week.

The Income amount considered varies between Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit, so this figure may be different depending on what you want an estimate for.

How your benefit is worked out. If the Total Applicable Amount is higher than Net Weekly Income, Maximum Benefit is awarded. But if Net Weekly Income is higher than the Total Applicable Amount, 65% of the "excess income" is deducted from Maximum Housing Benefit to find the award. For Council Tax Benefit a 20% of the "excess income" taper is deducted from the maximum award. NB Non-dependant deductions are also taken off at this stage.


A cap may now be put on the total amount of Benefits you can get, one of which is Housing Benefit. To find out whether the Benefit Cap will be applied to you, make a note of the Housing Benefit shown above, then go to www.direct.gov.uk/benefitcap. No cap will apply to Council Tax Support.

Alternative Council Tax Benefit is often called Second Adult Rebate and only available for pension age people. It is based on the income of the non-dependants. The calculator works out if you are better off with a benefit award based on your circumstances or your non-dependants.

And finally you can use the browser Print button to launch a print or change your figures to calculate again or reset the page and start again.

Valid April 2014 to March 2015 - Copyright www.ovaltech.ltd.uk