Main Menu

or browse by theme


Business Rates

The Non-Domestic Rates or Business Rates is a tax on all business and non-domestic properties.

The annual liability is calculated using the Rateable Value multiplied by the appropriate National Rate Multiplier and may include other relief’s depending upon the individual circumstances. Further information is included in the Business Rates Questions section or the Government website .

New Retail Relief Scheme for 2019 and 2020

Click the link to find out about the new Retail rate relief criteria and applications .

New Discretionary Relief Scheme from 2017

Click the link to find out about the new Discretionary revaluation support criteria and applications .

Rateable Value

All non-domestic properties which have been assessed have a rateable value set and maintained by the Valuation Office Agency (which is an agency of HM Revenues and Customs). The rateable values in force between 1 April 2010 and 31 March 2017 were (in most cases) based on hypothetical April 2008 rental values and following the Revaluation the Rateable values in force from 1April 2017 will (in most cases) be based on hypothetical April 2015 rents.

Queries about your rating assessment may be made via the Valuation Office Agency centralised switchboard on 03000 501501 or you may wish to visit the Valuation Office Agency website for further information on rating valuation for each assessment and through which online appeals can be made.

2017 Revaluation Advice from the Valuation Office Agency (VOA Website information)

Revaluation Questions



I want more information about business rates and rateable value.

Go to


I want to find out my rateable value, and how it’s worked out.

Go to

Where you can look up your property by postcode and see details.


I want to update the property details.

Go to

where you can look up your property by postcode and send in suggested amendments to the details.


I want to know why my rateable value is different from my rent.

The VOA look at many rents in an area before deciding on the right rateable value for each property. Rents can vary between properties in an area, even if the properties are similar and the rents are agreed at the same time. This is because landlords and tenants often have different views on the rental value of a property and sometimes there are special lease terms that can affect the rent paid.

Go to


I want to know the rent/trade details held for my property.

The VOA does not publish this information online, as that would breach the Data Protection Act.

Call 03000 501 501 to request the details from the VOA.


My business has closed, and I would like the property taken out of the Rating List.

The VOA doesn't remove properties from the Rating List just because the business has closed. It is more than likely that if the property still exists It is more than likely that if the property still exists it may still be rateable.

Go to


I have a property that is in poor repair.

Go to

so you can consider whether you should make a proposal – depending on state of disrepair.


My property is undergoing refurbishment or structural alterations.

Go to to see if this affects you and what to do if it does.


I want to know about small business rates relief

Current recipients in 2016 may not need to reapply to the Council if the new Rateable Value falls within the 2017 scheme. New applicants should contact the Council’s rates office for guidance on rate relief eligibility.

More information may be available on


I want to know about Zoning

The VOA uses zoning to measure retail premises. This is a standard method of measuring retail premises for valuation purposes.

Go to


I believe my property measurements are wrong.

Go to

You can look up your property by postcode and send in suggested amendments to the measurements.


I want to appeal/ challenge their draft 2017 rateable value.

Once the new rateable values come into effect on 1 April 2017, you will be able to make a formal challenge. You can find out more about the appeals process, including the reforms the Government has proposed.

Go to


I want to appeal/challenge their 2010 rateable value.

Go to

You can look up your property by postcode and submit an appeal on the 2010 valuation.


I want to correct address inaccuracies, including the postcode

If the address details listed on

do not match the used address, you can submit a request to amend it online.


I am worried that I will be unable to pay the 2017-18 bill, based on the 2017 Rateable Value estimate

The Rateable Value alone is just one factor in calculating charges. Once the Government has announced the multipliers and relief factors for 2017, the Council can estimate potential liabilities. You should speak to the Council or take professional advice in order to make the best decision about viability or possible exit routes.

If there are factual concerns about the draft rateable value, you can raise these with the VOA through


I want to know if I should be paying business rates if a business is run from home

You don’t usually have to pay business rates for home-based businesses if you:

  • use a small part of your home for your business, e.g. you use a bedroom as an office
  • sell goods by post.

Go to .


I have a question on the Revaluation but have no web access

Those without web access will need to ring

  • 03000 501 501 (England) for any of the circumstances in this table.

Rate Multipliers

The Government set a standard multiplier for 2019 including an uplift/supplement of £0.013 to fund the cost of the Small Business Rate Relief scheme. Consequently, the multipliers for 2019 are £0.504 (standard) and £0.491 for occupied properties with a Rateable Value below £51000 (except Charities and CASC’s).

Transitional Surcharge / Relief Scheme

Following the revaluation for the 2017 Rating List and the setting of a new national multipliers, some properties experienced a significant increase or decrease in the annual rate liability compared to 2016. In order to smooth out the effects of the national revaluation for individual properties, a five year transitional relief/surcharge scheme has been put in place to phase in those notional increases or decreases in annual liabilities each year until the charge falls within the percentage limits allowed, after which, the notional annual charges are calculated as Rateable Value x Rate Multiplier. If a transitional relief or surcharge applies for any period from 1 April 2017 this will automatically show on the relevant bill.

The actual calculation for transitional adjustments depends upon whether the 2017 assessed property is large (RV over £100,000), medium (RV Between £20,001 and £100.000) or small (RV up to £20,000) and whether it is a loser or gainer as a result of the 2017 national revaluation exercise.

The 2017 transitional limit (max or min) annual calculation was Base Liability (Prior List RV x 2016 small business multiplier) x TA Factor (maximum yearly increase or saving) x RPI).

Subsequent year calculations make a comparison between the new year and preceding year and apply transition where necessary using the appropriate TA Factor dictated by the Government and inflation (CPI from 1/4/18) Transitional Relief or Surcharge is calculated automatically where a supplement is shown, that is added at the end because the transitional calculations are made using the small business multiplier and it is necessary to reflect the difference between the standard and small multipliers for non SBRR qualifiers (e.g. empty properties, those occupied properties with an RV of £51,000 or more and properties occupied by Charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs).

More information can be found on the Business Rates Questions page.

Empty Rate charges

An initial short exemption period may apply when a property first fall vacant. Thereafter, empty rate charges at full rate apply for most properties whose rateable value is above the minimum determined by the Government (RV £2899 for the 2017 Rating List).

Liability for payments falls on the person/company entitled to possession and owners should ensure that the rates office is kept up to date with any occupational changes in order that any vacancy periods can be monitored and relief claims verified at the time. Owners of empty properties are not eligible for Small Business Rate Relief and will have their bills calculated using the standard multiplier for the year.

Small Business Rate Relief (2017 Rating List)

If your property has a 2017 Rateable Value below £51,000, you are occupying it and you are not in receipt of Mandatory Charity Relief or Community Amateur Sports Club Relief, your bill for 2017 has been automatically calculated using the lower (Small Business) rate multiplier.

However, additional relief may also be available if you occupy just the one main property and your 2017 Rating List Rateable Value is below £15,000 (Note: Occupation of secondary very small property may be ignored if it falls within the qualifying criteria detailed with application form).

From 1 April 2017, those occupiers with a 2017 Rateable values up to £12000 who meet the eligibility criteria will receive 100% relief and those qualifiers with 2017 Rateable Values between £12,001 and £14,999 will receive relief on a reducing taper.

For new occupiers and those who have not yet claimed, you are encouraged to complete and return a 2017 application form. The council may not know whether you have business premises elsewhere so you are encouraged to use the following form to make a claim if you occupy just one main business property.

Owners of unoccupied properties who are liable to pay empty rates will not qualify under the Small Business Rate Relief Scheme and their bills will be calculated using the standard multiplier.

Small Business Rate Relief qualifiers occupying an additional property

Ratepayers already receiving additional Small Business Rate Relief on a property that subsequently occupy an additional property in England which would normally have disqualified them from receiving relief from the date they occupied the additional property may continue to receive relief on the original property for up to 12 months if they remain in occupation but will not be entitled to relief for the additional property. Ratepayers must notify the Council promptly if they occupy an additional property.

Instalment Payments

The default instalment scheme for annual rate demands will remain as a maximum of 10 months (1 April to 1 January) but Ratepayers can now elect to pay the rates over 12 instalments (1 April to 1 March) rather than 10 by writing to the Council providing the right to pay by instalments has not been lost and the account is otherwise up to date.

The number of instalments available will reduce over time so, for example, a ratepayer receiving a bill in September may only have 4 (or 6) instalment dates over which to spread their liability

Pay by Direct Debit

Direct Debit A Direct Debit mandate means that you can pay your Business Rates automatically via your bank on the 1st day of each month. This method is the most popular way of paying Non-Domestic Rates and is strongly recommended by the council.

Direct Debit application (online) -

Direct Debit application (to print and return)

Other methods of payment are shown on your Bill

Copy Bills

A charge of £7.50 applies for each copy bill requested for previous financial years. Please email us with the detail of the bill(s) you are requesting, together with your contact telephone number.

Guidance for Businesses is the Government’s online resource for business. It contains a wealth of information including advice on business rates.

If you are struggling to pay your rates, the council may be able to help in exceptional circumstances by considering a revised instalment payment but only where the ratepayer can demonstrate a genuine need and a viable action plan to bring the account up to date over a very short period and meet future rate liabilities as they occur.

This is not a right, but a discretion and the Council will also need to consider past performance and the effects on its own budgets.

General Rate enquiries

Further information or advice can be obtained from:

our Business Rates Questions page

by telephone: 01293 438615

by email: Rates

by letter: The Rates Office, Crawley Borough Council, Town Hall, The Boulevard, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 1UZ

01293 438615 01293 511803 Click to email us
Revenue Services
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

Contact Us

tel: 01293 438615

fax: 01293 511803

email: Click to email us

Revenue Services
Town Hall
The Boulevard
West Sussex RH10 1UZ

GovDelivery icon